Smile For a Lifetime
Dr. Yan Kalika of Image Orthodontics is a founder of the Sacramento and San Francisco chapters of Smile 4 A Lifetime. He has dedicated countless hours to promote the program in under-served areas of these communities. And, he personally oversees all the cases for the Smile 4 A Lifetime candidates.
Who We Are
Smile for a Lifetime Foundation (s4l.org) is a charitable non-profit organization that provides orthodontic care to individuals who may not have the opportunity to acquire assistance. Launched in 2008, Smile for a Lifetime Foundation aims to reach individuals with financial challenges, special situations, and orthodontic needs. The Foundation sponsors the orthodontic care of hundreds of patients each year. Smile for a Lifetime Foundation has participating orthodontists throughout the US. Each chapter has its own local Board of Directors who chooses patients to be treated by the Foundation.
It is our mission to create self-confidence, inspire hope, and change the lives of children in our community in a dramatic way. The gift of a smile can do all this for a deserving, underserved individual who, in turn, can use this gift to better themselves and our community.
At Image Orthodontics, we combine a private practice experience with the benefits of multi-doctor collaboration and multiple locations, providing children and adults the highest quality orthodontic care with friendly, highly-trained staff in a comfortable environment. Our orthodontists and staff are here to help our patients realize their potential for a beautiful smile.
Guidelines for Applying for an S4L Scholarship
- Guidelines in applying for braces through Smile for a Lifetime Foundation
- Applicant questionnaire must be handwritten and answered by the applicant
- Applicant must have a reliable source of transportation to and from appointments
- Applicant must have a significant aesthetic need for braces
- Applicant must demonstrate financial need.
- Applicant must be between 11 to 19 years old (For further questions please contact your local Smile for a Lifetime Chapter)
- Applicant must be a currently enrolled student
- Applicant should demonstrate a positive attitude
- Applicant must agree to follow the treatment plan and demonstrate the ability and commitment to make all appointments on time
- Applicant is encouraged to display involvement and leadership in extracurricular activities
Two Letters of Recommendation are mandatory. Please do not submit more than two letters and limit each reference letter to one page each. Please type or print clearly with black ink (no pencil). Letters of recommendations may be written by teachers/coaches, counselors, dentists or spiritual leader etc.
A clear head shot with full smile & teeth showing must be included with application.
The application, letters of reference and pictures will not be returned and will become property of Smile for a Lifetime Foundation.
Applications will be reviewed two times a year. Applications are received on an ongoing basis. Each applicant will be notified of approval or denial after the end of each selection process.
Board of Directors
Our Board Members are as diverse as the communities we serve;
however, leadership and passion for community improvements are characteristics they all share.
2017 Board of Directors
- Dr. Elmira Abraamyan, DDS
- Dr. Alexander Antipov, DDS
- Ruth Cervantes
- Jay Cohen
- Mariah Funk
- David Galasso
- Larissa Gonchar
- Sis Hendrix
- Sergey Ivannikov
- Margaret Lecey
- Yelena Obutkova
- Savonnne Powell
- Sharon Stone Smith
San Francisco Chapter
2017 Board of Directors
- Dr. Yan Kalika, DMD, MS
- Kayla Lebo, 2018 DDS Candidate
- Dr. Dean Duncan, DDS, MD
- Dr. Eric Scharf, DDS, MD
- Dr. Irena Vaksman, DDS
- Larry Eschenbacher, CBS Radio
- Suzanne Tucker, One Stop Graphics
- Loytavian Harrell, Esq
- Tim Rosenthal, Bank of SF